Search This Blog

Thursday, November 24, 2011

I’m Thankful For…


Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.  You normally get two days off of school or work, it’s filled with delicious food which you’re encouraged to eat in copious amounts, and you get to be surrounded by family.   The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, Westminster Dog Show, and football are on the TV.  Drinking from 10am till you pass out after the big dinner isn’t frowned upon; you’re just celebrating the season.  And finally, once Thanksgiving rolls around I am no longer slightly embarrassed by my Christmas decorations, which have already been up for about a month.

I try not to forget to give thanks for the good things in my life on this Thanksgiving.  Today, I’m thankful for:

My mother.  After a trying and difficult year, she is cancer-free this Thanksgiving.  I’m so proud of her and her strength.  She is an inspiration to me and I’m glad we can celebrate this holiday together.  I love you, mother.

My husband.  He is my rock.  He gives me strength when I’m weak.  He helps me see the light when I’m in the dark.  He brings me peace and comfort.  He calms the storm inside me.  He is the balance to my instability.  He has incredible insight and knows just what to say to me in every situation.  He is filled with kindness and empathy.  He inspires me to be a better me.  I’m not sure how I got so lucky to make him mine, but I’m thankful each and every day for our relationship.  On the 26th of this month, we will have been married one year.  I’m thankful for this year and look forward to countless more.  I love you, husband.

My grandparents and great-grandmother.  I share an unusual relationship with my grandparents.  Closer than many people are to their own parents, I’m lucky enough to have my maternal grandparents in my life.  We talk on the phone every day, and their support and love is unconditional and unwavering.  Growing up, their loving, caring, tender relationship with each other demonstrated a true and deep love; the perfect example of a patient, loving, supportive couple.  I am forever indebted to them for the care and love I received growing up. I love you grandma and grandpa.

I’m nearly 30 years old and until high school, I had three great-grandparents.  Only one of them, my grandfather’s mother, survives.  Her life is remarkable, and I can only hope to have inherited her longevity.  Always glad to see me, I find all our time together more precious than gold.  I love you, Maw. 

Good friends.  I’m lucky enough to have a handful of good friends.  We may not get to see each other as much as we would like.  We may not talk to each other all the time.  But the paths of communication are always open when one party needs the other.  Knowing I have this support group brings an immeasurable feeling of security.  You know who you are.  I love you, friends.

In-Laws.  Yes, I’m thankful for my new family through marriage.  Many men and women find themselves in tough situations where they don’t like their spouse’s family, or worse, the spouse’s family doesn’t like them!  I’m lucky enough to enjoy each and every one of my new family members.  Time spent with my in-laws is a delight.  I love you, new family.

Lola.  Don’t judge me because I’m thankful for my dog.  She brings me smiles and happiness on a daily basis.  I couldn’t love her more if she came from my own womb.  I love you, Lola.

And last, but not least…

Good food.  From dry-aged beef at a high class steakhouse to pizza from the local Italian joint, few things bring more pleasure than sharing good food with those you love.  Food accents the major milestones in life.  Holidays, at least in my house, revolve around the menu.  Food is central to our lives and I’m thankful that I’m able to cook delicious meals every day. 

Take some time this Thanksgiving holiday and think about that which you’re most thankful for.  

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! Hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete