Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

New Cookbook, New Challenges

About the same time I got the Cooks Illustrated Italian Classics cookbook I got another cookbook called Everyday Cooking.  I've created a menu for the week using recipes from this cookbook.  (Not to worry, I haven't forgotten my Italian challenge, I'm just taking a break.)

This new cookbook is relatively simple and has great color illustrations of the steps and recipes.  Today, I'm making Home Smoked Trout and Pesto Potato Wedges. As usual, I have tweaked the recipes to my taste and utensil ability.  My grill is really small and I will be baking the potato wedges rather than grilling them as the recipe calls for.  (The grill will be solely reserved for smoking my trout.)  The trout recipe calls for whole fish but fillets were on sale at my local grocer so I'm using them instead. Really simple recipes that should be delicious.

Home Smoked Trout

4 oz smoking chips
1/2 cup white wine
4 trout fillets
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lemon, thinly sliced
8 sprigs dill

Combine chips & wine in large bowl.  Let soak 1 hour.  Preheat covered grill to low heat.  Place chips & wine over coals 5-10 minutes or until hot.  Place trout on wire rack set in roasting tin.  Brush trout lightly with oil, then top with lemon and dill.  Place on rack in grill, cover and smoke for 15-20 minutes or until trout flakes.  (Fillets will not take as long as whole fish, so check after about 7 minutes.)

Pesto Potato Wedges


4 medium sized potatoes, peeled
2 tablespoons basil pesto
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoon parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Cut potatoes into wedges, rinse well and drain, then place in large bowl.  Combine basil pesto, olive oil, and water, pour over potatoes and toss to coat well.  Place in a large foil dish in a single layer.  Cook 20-30 minutes or until browned.  Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment