Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Potato Chip Chicken with Butter Chive Potatoes... oh and Salted Caramel Sauce

Have you missed me since my last blog??  There has been a lot going on here in my little family.  I had an interview, we visited hubby's mom in South Carolina, spring cleaning, herb planting, and making my home eco-friendly and organic. Perhaps I will expound on that later.

First, I want to share with you one of my favorite easy meals.  I make this for my husband when I'm feeling less than ambitious or creative in the kitchen.  It is always very well received.

Potato Chip Chicken

2 chicken breasts, pounded until a uniform thickness
1 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup crushed potato chips (can be slightly stale)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt & Pepper to Taste
Oil for browning (I like peanut oil)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Salt and pepper chicken breasts generously.  Place flour, egg, and potato chips in separate shallow dishes.  Mix thyme with potato chips.  Dredge breasts in flour, then egg, then coat in potato chips.  Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.  Brown breasts on each side.  Transfer to baking dish and bake until juices run clear and center meat is no longer pink, about 25 minutes.

Variations:
-Substitute potato chips for a butter cracker like Town House or Club.  Prepare same way.  When I make these I usually leave some chunks of cracker a little bigger for crunch.
-Don't have dried thyme??  Use dried basil, oregano, or parsley.
-Use 3/4 cup finely ground pecans mixed with 1/4 cup breadcrumbs in lieu of potato chips for a different kind of flavor.  I generally fry breasts or tenders through when using this breading and serve with honey mustard sauce for dipping.

Butter Chive Potatoes

4-5 medium red skinned potatoes, cubed
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
4 tablespoons butter, divided
Salt and White Pepper to taste

Boil potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes.  Drain and melt butter over hot potatoes.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Top with chives and mix into butter and potatoes.

These recipes are my own.  Nothing fancy but they are easy and pleasing to the palate.  Follow with Salted Caramel Sauce over chocolate ice cream topped with crushed pretzels!  Delicious!

Salted Caramel Sauce

1 and 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 and 1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Measure ingredients and have at the ready.  Combine water and sugar in saucepan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring just until sugar is dissolved.  Once it comes to a boil, DO NOT TOUCH THE SUGAR MIXTURE!  Stirring will cause it to clump into a hard candy mess.  Boil until the sugar browns to an amber color, about 10 minutes.  Pour in heavy cream and whisk until mixture becomes smooth.  Add vanilla and salt off the heat.  Stir until combined.  Cool to room temp and store in the fridge for up to a month.

The salt and the sweet are a perfect combination to combat PMS cravings!  

No comments:

Post a Comment